This week I came up with a new project/idea! I'm going to model and 3D print my own rubiks cube! I haven't decided on what I want each individual side to be, and how I want the patterns to work, but I know that I am going to make a rubiks cube. I have started measuring the pieces, and I have looked at every piece to see how they need to be modeled. This project is going to be interesting.
The box project is still not over yet, however. I just need to figure out the issues with the scanning program before I can really proceed anymore. I'm trying some new software, so we will see how that works.
This week was VERY short, and Very uneventful. There were only two real work days, not including today. The reason for this is because we had Monday off due to presidents day, and yesterday (thursday) we went to a assembly to watch belly dancing and k-pop dances. But on the two days that we did work, I solely worked on my box. I finally got the lazy susan attached correctly, and everything is ready to go. The only thing left to do is I need to make some legs for the box so that the bolts don't get in the way.
Yay! I am finally caught up with all of my blog posts!
Anyways, this week was kind of a bummer. Nothing very exciting, or productive got done. I have still been encountering issues with the Kinect and the Reconstruct me program. I have looked it up numerous times, downloaded drivers, updated windows, and done pretty much everything I could think of. None of which worked. I plan on bringing the kinect home and trying it on my computer, because I think it's time to wipe the slate clean.
The other thing that happened this week is that Mr. Smith told me that I still need to be uploading blog posts every week. I somehow came to the conclusion that I no longer had to upload any about a month ago. So I spent all of today writing and posting blogs for the past few weeks. That's about as exciting as my week got.
So, now we are getting back into the time period that I can remember more clearly. On week 5, or last week, I didn't work on the box at all. Instead I worked on the software to go with the box. I downloaded a program called ReconstructMe. The point of this program is to be scan items and turn them into a 3D mesh. The only issue is we needed a camera to do the physical scanning, while the program did all of the mesh making. Luckily, Mr. Smith had an old Xbox Kinect lying around and he brought it in for me. After plugging it in and downloading all of the drivers, I ran into some issues. The program would not register that the Kinect was plugged in. I could not figure out why, and I messed with settings and drivers for a large portion of this week. I was completely unsuccessful. The program and Kinect refuse to work together, and I need to figure out why.
So, due to the misunderstanding Mr. Smith and I had, I am still not 100% about what I actually did this particular week. I'm pretty sure that I simply finished painting the box, because I don't I finished it totally in week 3. The one thing that I do know that I accomplished during this week was I got the lazy susan set-up figured out. I drilled the holes in the bottom of my box, and I got all of the bolts ready to be placed. I even attempted to secure the lazy susan onto the box, but because I don't have a permanent bottom support yet, it was kind of difficult. Everything is pretty much all set-up and ready to go. It's 90% complete at this point, and will be finished shortly.
I forgot to make my weekly blog posts for the past 3 weeks due to a misunderstanding between Mr. Smith and I.
So on the week of January 20th - 24th, I mainly worked on my box project. I quite honestly don't remember the exact stage of building I was in at this point, but I am highly convinced that I was painting my Box. So we're just going to assume that's the point I was at. I grabbed a paint brushe and a paint bucket out of the closet and went to work. The color that was chosen was a creamish-white. It's essentially white with a tint of yellow or brown in it. I painted the whole inside and outside of the box, and I plan on adding stickers and maybe even a 3D printed sign for aesthetic purposes. That was about as far as I got on week 3.