Friday, January 17, 2014

Captains log - Week 2

       This week wasn't necessarily a very big week for me in terms of animating. I think out of the 5 total days in a school week, I only animated for one of them. The reason for the being I was busy building and finishing my 3D scanning box. That project has been going quite well. I'm nearing the finishing steps on it, but it's taking me a while to finish. The only things I have left to do are to paint it, attach the lazy Susan, and attach legs to the bottom to elevate it off of the platform slightly. Once I have completed those tasks, we will have a fully functioning box. The only thing that would be left would be to get the Kinect software that we can use to do the actual scanning and processing. But I think Gregg is in charge of that.

       In terms of actual 3D animating, the only thing I really did was work of the face of the Joan of Arc project. It went pretty well, and it wasn't that difficult.Unfortunately I do not have any images of what I did yet because the computer I am currently using is not hooked up to the server yet and I have no way of retrieving my project or information. That is basically it for this week.

                         This has been a PSA,
                                                            Captain out

Friday, January 10, 2014

Captains log - Week 1

       It's been so long since I've posted. I've lost track of time. We have to start from the beginning. We have to go back to week one.

       So this week has been pretty interesting. We started modeling our "Joan of Arc" character, and that has been going pretty well. By following a tutorial on the internet, I have (so far) been able to make a character using the box modeling technique. This character is nowhere near completed, but it's something.
       To complete this task, I started with the reference images. By following the tutorial, I placed two planes onto my scene and pasted some images on them. These images help me trace the outline of my character while I continue to model her. The way that I am actually modeling her is very simple. I started with one simple box, and the rest of the body is just an extrusion of that one single box. By using the extrude tool, I managed to manipulate that single box into the character I want it to be. But just extruding the boxes isn't really enough. I also have to move the polys and vertices into the correct position so that each body part comes to a proportional size.

Anyways, that's all I've been really working on this week. It is a fun, yet difficult project.

                            This has been a PSA,
                                                                  Captain out